CHC33015 – Certificate III in Individual Support (Disability and Ageing)
If you are passionate about supporting people with a disability and the aged to reach their potential and live an independent life, then this is the course for you.
Learn how to communicate effectively, work with diverse people in an ethical way, and facilitate the empowerment of people with disability. This course could see you move into a job role in a variety of settings within the sector.
Career outcomes may include:
- Disability Service Officer
- In Home Respite Worker
- Community House Worker
- Residential Care Worker
- Home Care Assistance Support Worker
There are no formal education entry requirements for this course; however successful enrolment into this course will require that you:
- Sit an internal language, literacy and numeracy assessment.
- Have basic computer skills (e.g. the ability to access and use word processing applications, email and internet.
- Can deal with physical demands of manual tasks (e.g. bending, squatting, kneeling, and repetitive movements, carrying) for direct support work during Vocational Placement and have the ability to be on your feet for extended periods of time, both walking and standing due to the nature of the occupation.
- Relevant Police History and Working with Children/Disability checks required by your state – specific details will be provided in pre-enrolment information packs.
Please note: Prospective students must have the above mentioned checks completed prior to commencement of study and are asked to begin this process during the enrolment process. The obtaining of the above mentioned requirements will be at the cost of the client.
Course Delivery and Duration
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic lockdown, all training will be delivered online via our eLearning platform and Zoom. You will need to have access to a computer and reliable internet access.
Total course duration is 16 weeks, delivered over two days per week, 9.30 am to 3.30 pm, with an additional three hours dedicated for completing practical role plays and a recommendation of 10 hours’ self-study at home to complete the required work.
Every Monday. However, you should ensure that you have returned all enrolment documents before close of business on the preceding Wednesday.
This course is made up of 18 units of competency including seven core units and eleven elective units which include five ageing units, five disability units and one shared unit.
- CHCCOM005 Communicate and work in health or community services
- CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically Core
- HLTWHS002 Follow safe work practices for direct client care
- CHCCCS015 Provide individualised support Core
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people Core
- CHCCCS023 Support independence and wellbeing
- HLTAAP001 Recognise healthy body systems
Disability elective units
- CHCDIS001 Contribute to ongoing skills development using a strength-based approach
- CHCDIS003 Support community participation and social inclusion
- CHCDIS007 Facilitate the empowerment of people with a disability
- CHCCCS025 Support relationships with carers and families
- CHCCCS024 Support individuals with autism spectrum disorder
Ageing elective units
- CHCPAL001 Deliver care services using a palliative approach
- CHCAGE001 Facilitate the empowerment of older people
- CHCAGE005 Provide support to people living with dementia
- HLTHPS006 Assist clients with medication
- CHCCCS011 Meet personal support needs
Shared elective unit
- CHCDIS002 Follow established personcentred behaviour
To achieve this qualification, you will be required to complete a minimum of 120 hours Vocational Placement, which Carers Queensland will work towards securing for you if you do not already have industry connections.
Please note: Due to COVID-19 restrictions, Vocational Placement in an approved workplace may be delayed. For further information and updates on this, please see our Student Handbook or contact us directly.
Course Fees (Total Co-Contribution Fees)
Course fees will vary from state-to-state.
Any course fees will be discussed in the pre-enrolment discussion.
**See state-specific flyers for course fees
Are you interested in studying with us?
If so, please complete the form below and we will be in touch.