All children deserve a good start in life and the opportunity to reach their full potential.
The Better Start for Children with Disability initiative provides access to funding for early intervention services for eligible children with a disability.
Under this initiative, eligible children will receive:
- Up to $12,000 to pay for early intervention services, including therapeutic aids/equipment
- An additional one-off support payment for families living in outer regional and remote areas to assist with the cost of accessing services
- Additional Medicare items to continue therapeutic services
Our Registration and Information Support service assists families by registering eligible children and providing information and referral to other supports available in the community.
Who is eligible?
Children under 7 years with a confirmed diagnosis of one of the following disabilities:
- Angelman Syndrome
- Cerebral Palsy
- CHARGE syndrome
- Cornelia de Lange syndrome
- Cri du Chat syndrome
- Down Syndrome, including mosaic Down syndrome
- Fragile X syndrome, includes mosaicism
- Hearing impairment (thresholds apply)
- Kabuki syndrome
- Prader-Willi syndrome
- Rett’s disorder
- Smith-Magenis syndrome
- Vision impairment (thresholds apply)
- Williams syndrome
Children must be Australian citizens or permanent residents to access this funding.
How to register?
Call Carers Queensland on 1800 242 636 or email email@example.com
The Better Start Booklet contains the application form and lists the documents needed to register a child for this initiative.
A Consent Form must accompany any application for Better Start funding.
Moving Forward Workshops
We also provide Moving Forward workshops as an option for families when their child’s funding period is coming to an end.
These workshops are delivered across Queensland and they focus on topics like the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), transitioning to school, resources, funding and support options for families.
Moving Forward workshops are free and morning tea and lunch are provided.
Want more information?
If you are looking for something more local, check out our Regional Offices and Support Groups.
*Better Start is an Australian Government initiative funded by the Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (FaHCSIA).