It’s All About Me
Do you know a young person looking after a family member or friend?
Making life better
For some young people, life entails going to school or going out with friends, but we understand that for others, it could be different.
If their daily life involves caring for a family member or friend with a disability or illness, they are a young carer.
We are here for you
In Queensland there are currently more than 50,000 young carers, helping a family member or a friend with things like cooking, cleaning, paying bills, taking medication or visiting the doctor.
Caring responsibilities of children and young adults can have an impact on their mental health due to physical and mental strain.
It’s All About Me is a free program that supports young carers to build social and emotional skills to help turn challenging experiences into an opportunity for growth. Drawing from the Friends Resilience program, which uses evidence based strategies to prevent anxiety and depression, while promoting resilience in families, schools and communities.
The program can help children:
- Improve their confidence and social skills
- Enhance their emotional health and well-being
- Improve their self-esteem and reach their full potential
- Identify their personal strengths and supportive networks
Prepare them for tomorrow
It’s All About Me is a program delivered by Carers Queensland. It’s offered to primary schools in the Brisbane North & South regions (funding support from the Queensland Government) and in the Capricorn Region including the Rockhampton Regional and Livingstone Shire Council areas (funded by The Smith Family).
The program delivers two different programs:
- Fun Friends (Year 1 to 3) – positive social and emotional development
- Friends for Life (Year 4 to 6) – inspiring confidence and emotional strength
Our programs are run by our accredited and experienced facilitators who come certified to work with children.
Delivered in weekly two hour sessions during the school term (10 weeks) with groups of eight children. We can tailor the timing of the program to suit your school setting.
Key topics covered
- Understanding feelings
- Body cues and relaxation
- Paying careful attention
- Changing unhelpful thoughts into helpful thoughts
- Coping step plans
- Learning from our role models
- Using problem-solving plan
- Using the Friends skills to help ourselves and others
Connect with us
For more information and see how this program can benefit your school community, contact 07 3900 8100 or email email@example.com.